Safety review required after chemical incident


Wednesday, 05 December, 2018


Safety review required after chemical incident

An incident at the Wollondilly Leisure Centre pool in south-west Sydney earlier this week sparked calls for a review of safe chemicals handling training.

Initial reports suggested up to 14 people (mostly children) required treatment from emergency services after a lifeguard at the centre tipped chemicals directly into the pool in response to a faecal incident. Swimmers were left coughing and vomiting following exposure to toxic gas. Five required hospitalisation, with another nine being treated at the scene.

The ABC News website reported that Wollondilly Shire Council reached out to the contractor responsible for management of the pool, Leisure Management Services (LMS). LMS issued a statement saying that although appropriate procedures and trained staff were in place, the incident occurred due to human error.

The centre said immediate changes had been implemented by management to eliminate the risk of future incidents and that Worksafe NSW had been consulted for recommendations prior to a full comprehensive review of existing processes.

Image credit: © stock.adobe.com/au/Destina

Related News

Accreditation incorporated into franchisee scheme

Jim's Pool Care recently collaborated with SPASA Australia to develop streamlined...

Daisy Day aims to make pool owners proactive

Pool covers specialist Daisy has announced the kick-off of 'Daisy Day', a once-a-month...

A bumper December for Jim's Pool Care

Despite a slow start to the season, Jim's Pool Care said it enjoyed a record number of...


  • All content Copyright © 2019 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd