£1m fine issued for Legionnaires’ deaths from display hot tub


By Alice Richard
Monday, 17 July, 2017


A UK company has been fined £1 million after two men died from Legionnaires’ disease from a display hot tub. A further 20 people were affected by Legionella bacteria that was present in the hot tub on display in a JTF warehouse in Stoke-on-Trent.

JTF admitted that it had failed to ensure the safety of employees and customers under the UK’s Health and Safety at Work Act. The company was sentenced at Stafford Crown Court.

A 2012 report by the Health Protection Agency determined that the hot tub was the probable source of the “significant” outbreak.

Richard Griffin and Harry Cadman, both 79, died in 2012 from Legionnaires’ disease contracted from the hot tub. A third man, William Hammersley, died from a pre-existing condition but his quality of life was “severely impaired” by the disease before his death, the court heard.

JTF apologised unreservedly for the men’s deaths. The company has appointed a new board of directors and senior management team since the deaths.

Related News

Supreme Heating seeks solar heating pool technician/installer

Supreme Heating is seeking a solar heating pool technician and installer to join its Victorian...

IQ takes out all three Partner in Profit categories at Poolwerx awards

International Quadratics has scooped the pool at this year's Poolwerx Conference, winning...

Australian man and son electrocuted while trying to fix a pool pump

An Australian man and his son have been electrocuted after the man attempted to fix a pool pump...


  • All content Copyright © 2017 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd