Malfunctioning pool heater leaves teenager dead from carbon monoxide exposure


By Alice Richard
Wednesday, 05 April, 2017


A teenager in the US has died and 14 others sickened after a pool heater leaked poisonous carbon monoxide gas into a hotel pool area.

Police and ambulance were called to Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, Michigan, after six children were found unresponsive on the pool deck. A seventh was found unresponsive in a room on the first floor.

The gas leak was reportedly caused by a malfunctioning vent pipe from the heater, Niles Fire Captain Don Wise said.

Thirteen-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital, according to Niles Police Chief Jim Millin. Two officers who responded to the 911 call were treated for carbon monoxide exposure.

Related News

Council fined $15K for swim centre chlorine discharge

Lake Macquarie City Council has been issued with a $15,000 fine by the NSW Environment Protection...

Study finds connection between indoor pool lifeguards and respiratory problems

Lifeguards who work more than 500 hours a year at indoor pools are two to six times more likely...

Inclusion program wins national innovation award

Belgravia Leisure's Access and Inclusion Program has been jointly awarded the top prize for...


  • All content Copyright © 2017 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd